Finally, there's a solution. oneDrum, released this week, is a peer-to-peer coauthoring platform like Google Docs, based entirely in Microsoft Office.
- automatic syncing of shared folders and files, so everyone always has the latest version on their computer
- complete version history, so you can roll back to a previous version of the file at any time
- real-time editing of documents (on PC, coming soon to Mac)
- and end to confusion between system and application keystrokes and clipboards
- all over a peer-to-peer desktop application.
Oh, and it's free.